Special Education Identification Process
Mesquite Trails follows the Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) process to identify students in need of additional support or possible identification for Special Education services. Each step in the process will take a minimum of several months (upper grades) to multiple school years (primary grades), as students must meet certain criteria before additional steps are taken. Communication with parents takes place at every step throughout this process. The following is a very general outline to help you understand what to expect along the way.
- Student is identified as performing below grade level by classroom teacher.
- Teacher implements interventions, which may include participation in Learning Lab. Progress toward grade level standard is monitored.
- If student continues to make little to no progress, interventions are changed and monitoring is continued.
- If student continues to make little to no progress, a Student Study Team meeting is scheduled. This meeting will include the teacher, parent, administrator, special education teacher, and possibly school psychologist.
- Student Study Team may recommend additional interventions or refer for Psycho Educational assessment.
- Results of Psycho Educational assessments provide information upon which IEP team determines student eligibility for Special Education.
- Specifics regarding student support through the IEP (Individualized Education Plan) are determined by IEP team decision.
We are pleased to offer intervention and support for students with special needs as well as those who are performing at a Far Below Basic level for any reason through our Learning Labs. Students identified as in need of additional support in English Language Arts and/or Math receive small group support at their ability level for a portion of each day. Instruction during this time includes Guided Reading, written response to literature, vocabulary development, reading fluency, math concept understanding through CGI, and math skills work.
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHERS
Upper Grades Learning Lab